Monday, March 19, 2012

Being Thankful

You know, I should be thankful for the stress of the wait, right? 

Part of Ryan's (my 16-year-old) curriculum for History this year was to read The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom.  I had read it before, but I noticed something more about Corrie this time.  She was funny!  I won't ruin it for you by giving too many details or spoilers, but there is a section that reminds me of me right now.  Not because I'm funny, but because I'm human.

Corrie and Betsie, her sister, have just ended up in a not so nice place against their wills.  Betsie is always so upbeat and positive while Corrie is struggling with their new situation.  As they are examining their new digs, Betsie reminds Corrie that that morning they had studied First Thessalonians where it says, "Rejoice always, pray constantly, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus."  Corrie starts looking for things to be thankful for and bit by bit Betsie prompts her with specific things to be thankful for that make my stress look like absolutely nothing.  Finally, Betsie says that they should be thankful for the crowding because more people will get to hear God's word.  So Corrie, after being thankful for everything else Betsie has suggested says, "Oh, all right.  Thank You for the jammed, crammed, stuffed, packed, suffocating crowds."  Teehee!  I love it!  The flea part is even better, but I won't ruin it for you.

So, I'm trying to be thankful for the money that isn't here, yet.  Thankful for the faith that this is growing in me.  There have been miracles already.  At our co-op, a precious friend just handed me a check for $1000!  It made me cry.  Good cry. Thankful cry.  This happened even before I knew about the chunk of money that's due now.  I probably would've bawled if I'd known about that part.  I had another friend send me $200.  Yep, again, tears.  I think I'll cry over every penny because it brings us that much closer to Avalyn. 

So, Thank You, Lord, for the stressful, busy, scary, crazy, paperwork-laden adoption process.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

 16 Rejoice always, 17 pray continually, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment