Monday, May 7, 2012

USCIS approval!!!!

One of the steps in an international adoption is the USCIS (immigration) application.  We filed an I-600A.  USCIS basically makes sure you meet the income, health insurance, etc.... requirements and that you're not a criminal.  While I could see it on paper and know that we qualified and that we're not criminals, it's still good to get the official okay.  It actually says, "It has been determined that you are able to furnish proper care to an orphan."  Those are some good words.  I actually stood at the mailbox and cried.  One more step to check off.  We're getting there.

So, for those of you wondering about the timeline:

USCIS received our I600-A application on March 22, 2012.  I got the text at (get this) 12:57 a.m. just as I was falling into deep sleep.  I'm not complaining.  I want any information immediately.  If it happens to come at 12:57 a.m. I'm just calling it a goodnight present.

We were fingerprinted in Austin, Texas on April 24, 2012 at 9:00 a.m.  It was a very relaxed appointment.  I'm not sure what I was expecting but the guy that did my fingerprints was wonderful.  We talked about being hungry (my stomach growled---LOUDLY) and about my very smooth fingerprints.  Ha!  That almost sounds like a really bad pick-up line, huh?  Anyway, it took about 15 minutes for both Kyle and I. 

Our completion date is April 30, 2012.  We received our approval in the mail May 7, 2012. 

They worked pretty quickly!  The expected time was 30-90 days but everyone seems to be getting everything back faster than that.  I'm glad we aren't the exception.

Here's the thing.  I told Kyle and the kids that all I wanted this year for Mother's Day was to have this in our hands.  Happy, happy, happy Mother's Day to me (a little early, no less)!!  I love a gift that can make me cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment