Monday, December 10, 2012

Basketball Season---year 17 (or is it 18?)

My husband is a coach.  He coaches many sports, but his love is basketball.  For years I've told him that the players "live" here.  You may not see them, but they are here.  Their abilities and growth permeate conversations.  The scores and accomplishments are huge topics around here.  They are prayed for and loved. This year, well, this year is special.  My husband stepped down from high school public school coaching to do 8th grade girls (which he's really enjoying!) so that he could coach our boys' homeschool team.  So, three of the players really do live here. :)  It's an interesting mix to watch the switch from dad/son to coach/player and then back again.  They've done it as if it's always been this way.  Given, the basketball talk has almost taken over around here (Anyone wanna swing by and talk about NOT basketball for a few months?) but it's been so neat to watch them all have this experience. 

I've learned a little something this season.  This team is new to really being coached.  You can see them improve with each game.  They are starting to understand Coach E and run the plays and use solid defense and...  It's a process.  It made me think of our walk with God. I know sometimes I want instant everything.  I don't want a process and I don't want to have to learn new things.  I want instant streaming and immediate gratification.  Well, it just doesn't work that way.  My oldest son, Ryan, got into foul trouble this last game.  He had 4 fouls in the 1st quarter.  Seriously.  So Coach had to bench him until after halftime.  It gave Ryan a chance to just watch.  He gained some perspective and came out even better.  He had his highest scoring game yet.  Instead of trying to make the system work, he learned to just trust. 

It's been a struggle to just trust during this adoption process.  So often I find myself  trying to get to the basket without running the play the way God wants me to.  I get blocked, tripped up, and frustrated. I can't force my way through for anything.  So, I'm learning.

Oh, yeah, we Skyped with Avalyn in Taiwan last night!  It was so much fun!  She leaned in close to the screen when Savannah got on.  It was precious.  We learned a bit more about her and our case.  We are without a timeline because our case was appealed.  Sadly, many cases have been delayed.  It's not just ours.  Pray for the judges in Taiwan.  Pray for all of these precious children who have families, but are waiting for the judges to make decisions, and pray for all the children who don't have families, yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment